Best Orthodontic Clinic in Chandigarh & Panchkula
- What is Orthodontics?
- Who is an Orthodontist?
- Why do I need orthodontic treatment?
- When is the ideal time to start with orthodontic treatment?
- How will Braces improve my smile
- Where do I get my orthodontic Treatment?
TYPES OF BRACES
Metal Braces: Also called Stainless Steel braces are the most popular type of braces used all over the world. You could have different colors of bands placed on your braces ranging from shocking pinks to haloween colors at every visit.
Ceramic Braces: are an esthetic alternative for those conscious of metal look. These are equally comfortable and efficient as stainless steel braces.
Self Ligating Brackets: These are the most advanced and revolutionary types of brackets with minimum strain and treatment time.
Lingual Braces: Lingual (Invisible) Braces are the modern and invisible alternative to conventional braces. These are fixed on the backside of the teeth and the only one who knows you are wearing braces is you. So the visible braces look which can be a deterrent for some adults and professionals is done away with and you can have a smile which is not only beautiful but healthy too without being conscious about it.
Introducing Invisible Incognito™ Orthodontic Braces
Incognito™ Orthodontic Braces are a unique choice because patients can smile with confidence both during and after treatment. Placed on the backside of the teeth, Incognito Orthodontic Braces are completely hidden from view.
Incognito Orthodontic Braces are also 100% customized to meet the unique orthodontic prescription of every patient. Customization can lead to a more convenient and comfortable treatment experience.
They say that a beautiful smile can launch a thousand ships. This phrase ignores the fact that a smile need to be not only beautiful but also healthy. Orthodontics is one discipline of dentistry that aims at making your natural smile not only beautiful but healthy too.
Let’s ask our six honest serving men more about this branch of dentistry; their names are What, Why and When, How, Where and Who?
WHAT IS ORTHODONTICS?
Orthodontics is a special discipline of dentistry concerned with aligning the teeth and jaws to improve one’s smile and overall oral health. “Ortho” means correct or straight, and “don’t” means tooth. A dentist will recommend braces to improve the patient’s physical appearance and function of the teeth and jaws, if the teeth are crooked and malaligned, or the jaws are of unequal size. This condition is referred to as malocclusion, which comes from a latin word meaning ‘bad bite’.
While the majority of orthodontic cases involve braces, there are alternatives that may be used for younger children or adults. Arch expanders for younger children can minimize or eliminate the need for braces when the problem is treated early enough.
Myofunctional Appliances utilize muscle forces to redirect and guide normal growth and development thereby minimizing jaw discrepancies; if treated during the growth period.
Invisible, clear plastic retainers, instead of braces, can be used by adults for mild to moderate crowding problems.
WHO IS AN ORTHODONTIST?
The practice of orthodontics requires professional skill in design, application and control of corrective appliances as braces to bring teeth, lips and jaws into proper alignment and to achieve facial balance. An orthodontist is a specialist in this branch of dentistry equipped with a knowhow of facial growth and development, who can harness growth in a child for treatment if recommended, treat an adolescent with or without extractions, treat an adult for crooked or malaligned teeth. He determines whether you need braces.
WHY DO I NEED ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
Lots of kids don’t have perfect teeth. Their teeth could be crooked or upper and lower jaws might not be the same size.
SOME CAUSES OF CROWDING AND MALOCCLUSION:
1. Premature loss of milk teeth.
2.Prolonged retention or delayed loss of milk teeth which would result in permanent tooth taking a deviant path.
3. Childhood habits persisting beyond 4 years of age, such as thumbsucking, finger/nail biting , lip sucking, mouthbreathing, incorrect swallowing, all lead to irregular teeth alignment and formation.
Teeth that are crowded and even proclined could be accepted by some as a natural smile not to be tampered with; would nevertheless present problems in day today life.
MALAFFECTS OF MALOCCLUSION:
- Irregular teeth are difficult to clean and allow catchment areas for plaque and calculus deposition, since they are inaccessible to the toothbrush and other cleansing aids.
- They are esthetically unappealing.
- Crowded teeth are prone to caries and gingival problems.
- Forwardly placed teeth are prone to trauma and injury.
- Unpleasant smile hampers the confidence and self-esteem of the child.
- Affects job/career prospects.
- Deep bite leads to wearing away of natural teeth causing sensitivity and reducing life span of teeth.
BENEFITS OF ORTHODONTICS?
- Reduce the risk of injury – prominent teeth are more prone to trauma
- Reduce the risk of decay as crooked teeth are harder to clean
- Reduce the risk of developing TMJ problems
- Eliminate the excessive wear on your teeth that can be caused by a poorly aligned bite
- Straight teeth provide a healthier, more attractive smile
- A beautiful smile increases your confidence and self-esteem
WHEN IS THE IDEAL TIME TO START WITH ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
It is commonly believed that orthodontic treatment can be deferred till the time all permanent teeth have erupted in the mouth i.e age 12,but research has proved that early intervention can reduce some significant problems for children. American Association of Orthodontists recommends, the first visit to the orthodontist take place no later than age 7. Beginning treatment at an optimal time ensures fabulous results with least amount of time and expense.
POTENTIAL BENEFITS OF TIMELY TREATMENT
- Influence growth of the jaws in a positive manner
- Improve the width of the dental arches
- Reduce the need to extract permanent teeth
- Reduce or eliminate the need for jaw surgery
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Reduce appearance-consciousness
- Simplify and shorten treatment time for definitive orthodontic treatment
- Increase stability of final treatment results
- Reduce likelihood of impacted permanent teeth
- Improve speech development
- Improve position of first permanent molars
- Guide permanent teeth into more favorable positions
- Improve lip closure
- Preserve or gain space for erupting permanent teeth
- Reduce potential for damage to TM joints
- Better cooperation before the teenage years
HOW WILL BRACES IMPROVE MY SMILE?
Braces are magical handles to move teeth to a more pleasing and healthy position allowing for a beautiful and problem free smile. The orthodontist after examination and taking records of the patient would decide the treatment modalities, depending on the growth status of the patient.
– Expanders and Myofunctional Appliances used in growing individuals.
– Fixed Appliances(Braces) in children and adults.
DURATION OF TREATMENT
Orthodontic treatment usually takes 18 – 24 months. Some cases may be finished earlier and others may take longer to complete. The total treatment time depends on the severity of the original malocclusion, the type of treatment carried out, and the co-operation of the patient.
At the completion of the active orthodontic treatment, the braces are removed and retaining appliances (retainers) are fitted to hold the teeth steady in their new position. These appliances may be removable plates or wires fitted behind the teeth.
Retainers play an important role in orthodontic treatment for, if they are not worn according to instructions, the teeth may move back towards their original position. The corrected teeth are observed periodically for up to five years after the retainers have been phased out. During retention and the subsequent observation period, patients are expected to attend once or twice a year.
Age is not a factor in orthodontic treatment as long as you have healthy teeth and supporting tissues. New technical advances have made the treatment in adults simpler and comfortable with clear, least noticeable ceramic brackets or self ligating brackets, space age Nickel titanium wires all of which cause least strain on the teeth and supporting tissues.
WHERE DO I GET MY ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT?
We at DENTAL LIFELINE, offer you a host of orthodontic treatment modalities ranging from myofunctional appliances ,expanders to the most advanced form of braces and retention. All this is done in a very warm, comfortable environment for child , with hygiene and sterilization being utmost priority.